Gore nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
JD
2007-02-02 09:57:06 UTC
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!

If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!

~ JD
--
borland.public.off-topic exists as a runoff for unwanted posts in the
technical groups. Enforcement of rules is deliberately minimal but
reason, without notice.
Trout Mask Replica
2007-02-02 10:04:52 UTC
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
Climate change doesn't cause suffering? Living under water would be great.
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
I think he stopped bothering after Kissinger got the prize for bombing
Cambodia.
reason, without notice.
Michael Warner
2007-02-02 10:41:37 UTC
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
Global warming is already causing considerable suffering
in the world (not least in Australia), and it's going to get
much, much worse before the RWLs finally stop trying to
block attempts to do anything about it.
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
Have you read any biographies of Nobel and/or histories
of his prizes?
reason, without notice.
Mike Warren
2007-02-03 02:06:33 UTC
Post by Michael Warner
Global warming is already causing considerable suffering
in the world (not least in Australia),
I've noticed it's a lot warmer here than it was 6 months ago. :-)
--
-Mike
reason, without notice.
Michael Warner
2007-02-03 02:32:31 UTC
Post by Mike Warren
I've noticed it's a lot warmer here than it was 6 months ago. :-)
A friend of mine is heading off to Darwin for a holiday this afternoon.
The notion of stupidity has just been redefined IMHO :-)
reason, without notice.
Mike Warren
2007-02-03 07:26:58 UTC
Post by Michael Warner
Post by Mike Warren
I've noticed it's a lot warmer here than it was 6 months ago. :-)
A friend of mine is heading off to Darwin for a holiday this
afternoon. The notion of stupidity has just been redefined IMHO :-)
It is a silly time to choose the north. The wet season finally started
last week and there are a couple of mean looking lows hanging around in
the gulf threatening to become cyclones.
--
-Mike
reason, without notice.
Michael Warner
2007-02-03 13:02:23 UTC
Post by Mike Warren
It is a silly time to choose the north. The wet season finally started
last week and there are a couple of mean looking lows hanging around in
the gulf threatening to become cyclones.
I've heard that the wet is the best time for diving and snorkeling, though.
A reef boat instructor in Cairns told me that that's when the serious
divers head up there.
reason, without notice.
Mike Warren
2007-02-03 13:31:11 UTC
Post by Michael Warner
I've heard that the wet is the best time for diving and snorkeling, though.
That's probably true for the outer reef since the sea is usually calmer
in the wet. The water closer to the land tends to get a bit murky from
all the run-off. At least, that's been my experience.
Post by Michael Warner
A reef boat instructor in Cairns...
Reef boats need to be instructed now? :-)
--
-Mike
reason, without notice.
Strong Bow
2007-02-05 08:41:29 UTC
Post by Mike Warren
Post by Michael Warner
Global warming is already causing considerable suffering
in the world (not least in Australia),
I've noticed it's a lot warmer here than it was 6 months ago. :-)
It's a lot colder here than six months ago. I think all the heat has
slipped south of the equator. ;-)
--
Strong Bo
reason, without notice.
Matt Jacobs
2007-02-04 11:24:11 UTC
Post by Michael Warner
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
Global warming is already causing considerable suffering
in the world (not least in Australia), and it's going to get
much, much worse before the RWLs finally stop trying to
block attempts to do anything about it.
And the moon is made of green cheese.
reason, without notice.
JD
2007-02-04 11:39:13 UTC
Post by Matt Jacobs
Post by Michael Warner
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
Global warming is already causing considerable suffering
in the world (not least in Australia), and it's going to get
much, much worse before the RWLs finally stop trying to
block attempts to do anything about it.
And the moon is made of green cheese.
LOL. I added him to my Bozo-list a while ago and don't even
bother with him because he's so full of shit that his breath
stinks.

~ JD
reason, without notice.
Kirt
2007-02-05 14:22:41 UTC
Post by Matt Jacobs
And the moon is made of green cheese.
i see matt is back in "nyah, nyah, nyah" mode.
reason, without notice.
Trout Mask Replica
2007-02-05 14:29:09 UTC
Post by Kirt
Post by Matt Jacobs
And the moon is made of green cheese.
i see matt is back in "nyah, nyah, nyah" mode.
It's one of the effects of global warming.
reason, without notice.
Pierre
2007-02-02 10:42:16 UTC
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
Sounds to me (pun?) that this will give a few of RWL cause to explode! :-D
--
Pierre
Worrigee, NSW,

I've never felt better.
~~ Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., actor, d. December 12, 1939
reason, without notice.
JD
2007-02-02 23:26:31 UTC
Post by Pierre
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
Sounds to me (pun?)
Kudos! You're the only one who got it.

~ JD
reason, without notice.
Michael Lehrman
2007-02-02 23:46:49 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Pierre
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
Sounds to me (pun?)
Kudos! You're the only one who got it.
... among the responders :-)
ML
reason, without notice.
Mart [TeamD]
2007-02-03 19:36:19 UTC
Post by Michael Lehrman
Post by JD
Post by Pierre
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
Sounds to me (pun?)
Kudos! You're the only one who got it.
... among the responders :-)
And Rudy :^)
--
Mart

El Marto Photography @ www.elmarto.com
I'm soundtracking my life
To email me, remove clothes
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-03 23:10:17 UTC
Post by Mart [TeamD]
Post by Michael Lehrman
Post by JD
Post by Pierre
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
Sounds to me (pun?)
Kudos! You're the only one who got it.
... among the responders :-)
And Rudy :^)
... of course.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for
the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 12:48:22 UTC
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
I doubt it. Nobel would probably have seen the risks of global warming
together with the rest of us. There is hardly anyone who denies the
human influence on global warming these days, except a few people who
feel fighting it might cost them money, so they rather deny it.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"When I am dead, I hope it may be said: 'His sins were scarlet
but his books were read." -- Hillaire Belloc.
reason, without notice.
James David
2007-02-02 14:40:10 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
There is hardly anyone who denies the
human influence on global warming these days,
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.

Do you know the answer to this?
--
"Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faiths, but to become
dominant. The Koran, the Muslim book of scripture, should be the
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 16:34:22 UTC
Post by James David
Post by Rudy Velthuis
There is hardly anyone who denies the
human influence on global warming these days,
I assume you count yourself among these masses
"Masses" sounds so negative, so much like a threatening non-thinking
amorphous blob. I guess that was on purpose. <g>

I count myself among those to whom it is clear that mankind has been
ruining the environment for the last centuries, and that if we don't
change, things will get much worse.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Many a man's reputation would not know his character if they
met on the street." -- Elbert Hubbard (1856-1915)
reason, without notice.
Michael Lehrman
2007-02-02 22:41:43 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Post by James David
Post by Rudy Velthuis
There is hardly anyone who denies the
human influence on global warming these days,
I assume you count yourself among these masses
"Masses" sounds so negative, so much like a threatening non-thinking
amorphous blob. I guess that was on purpose. <g>
I would be more afraid of a thinking blob. :-)
Post by Rudy Velthuis
I count myself among those to whom it is clear that mankind has been
ruining the environment for the last centuries, and that if we don't
change, things will get much worse.
Mankind is a part of the environment.
ML
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 23:01:57 UTC
Post by Michael Lehrman
Mankind is a part of the environment.
Well no. Otherwise the environment would not be called the environment.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed
red with innocent blood." -- Mahatma Gandhi
reason, without notice.
Michael Lehrman
2007-02-02 23:58:37 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Post by Michael Lehrman
Mankind is a part of the environment.
Well no. Otherwise the environment would not be called the environment.
We are an environment for the environment, although I agree with you that
them may call us some other name :-)
ML
reason, without notice.
Kirt
reason, without notice.
Michael Warner
2007-02-03 01:18:31 UTC
Post by James David
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
What's the relevance? The overwhelming consensus is that we're
significantly responsible /this/ time.
reason, without notice.
James David
2007-02-03 03:51:01 UTC
Post by Michael Warner
Post by James David
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
What's the relevance? The overwhelming consensus is that we're
significantly responsible this time.
Overwhelming? There seems to be an equally "overwhelming" consensus
that we really don't know for sure if human industial activity is the
cause of the warming.
reason, without notice.
Dominic Willems
2007-02-03 08:57:50 UTC
Post by James David
There seems to be an equally "overwhelming" consensus
that we really don't know for sure if human industial activity is the
cause of the warming.
There was, yesterday -- but not as overhelming as in your dreams. No
corrupted gang of looters (the people you voted for) is able to confuse
the issue anymore today. We really DO know for sure that human
industrial activity is the major cause of global warming.
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-03 12:57:59 UTC
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by James David
There seems to be an equally "overwhelming" consensus
that we really don't know for sure if human industial activity is
the cause of the warming.
There was, yesterday -- but not as overhelming as in your dreams. No
corrupted gang of looters (the people you voted for) is able to
confuse the issue anymore today. We really DO know for sure that
human industrial activity is the major cause of global warming.
Heck, even the looting gang seems to concede it, although very
reluctantly, nowadays.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"I criticize by creation - not by finding fault."
-- Cicero (106-43 B.C.)
reason, without notice.
James David
2007-02-04 03:33:26 UTC
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by James David
There seems to be an equally "overwhelming" consensus
that we really don't know for sure if human industial activity is
the cause of the warming.
There was, yesterday -- but not as overhelming as in your dreams. No
corrupted gang of looters (the people you voted for) is able to
confuse the issue anymore today.
Who are you talking about? Who is this "gang of looters" you speak of
and what have they "looted"? How do you know who I voted for? Do you
think you sound a little silly?
Post by Dominic Willems
We really DO know for sure that
human industrial activity is the major cause of global warming.
Dominik, I'll ask you then: What caused the global warming that melted
the ice of the previous ice age?
reason, without notice.
Bo Dean
2007-02-04 03:45:22 UTC
Post by James David
Dominik, I'll ask you then: What caused the global warming that melted
the ice of the previous ice age?
How are you sure that was caused by *global* warming?
--
-David

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?
reason, without notice.
Sara
2007-02-05 04:00:15 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
Post by James David
Dominik, I'll ask you then: What caused the global warming that melted
the ice of the previous ice age?
How are you sure that was caused by *global* warming?
What causes ice to melt?
SO
reason, without notice.
Bo Dean
2007-02-05 04:31:46 UTC
Post by Sara
Post by Bo Dean
How are you sure that was caused by *global* warming?
What causes ice to melt?
Usually, *local* warming.

reason, without notice.
Sara
2007-02-05 05:49:43 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
Post by Sara
Post by Bo Dean
How are you sure that was caused by *global* warming?
What causes ice to melt?
Usually, *local* warming.
"Usually" local warming? Oh I see, the last ice age was a local thing. Silly me I thought it was a world wide phenonomen, where would this "local warming" have taken place on the earth, it would be a good place to be in case of another ice age.
SO
reason, without notice.
Bo Dean
2007-02-05 06:50:35 UTC
Post by Sara
"Usually" local warming? Oh I see, the last ice age was a local thing. Silly
me I thought it was a world wide phenonomen, where would this "local warming"
have taken place on the earth, it would be a good place to be in case of
another ice age.
You're trying to oversimplify it. The glaciers *didn't* cover the
entire planet. The geological record appears to show that ice ages start
when the continents are in positions which block or reduce the flow of
warm water from the equator to the poles and thus allow ice sheets to
form. The ice sheets increase the Earth's reflectivity and thus reduce
the absorption of solar radiation. With less radiation absorbed the
atmosphere cools; the cooling allows the ice sheets to grow, which
further reduces reflectivity in a positive feedback loop. The ice age
continues until the reduction in weathering causes an increase in the
greenhouse effect.

reason, without notice.
Sara
2007-02-05 08:05:17 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
You're trying to oversimplify it. The glaciers *didn't* cover the
entire planet. The geological record appears to show that ice ages start
when the continents are in positions which block or reduce the flow of
warm water from the equator to the poles and thus allow ice sheets to
form. The ice sheets increase the Earth's reflectivity and thus reduce
the absorption of solar radiation. With less radiation absorbed the
atmosphere cools; the cooling allows the ice sheets to grow, which
further reduces reflectivity in a positive feedback loop. The ice age
continues until the reduction in weathering causes an increase in the
greenhouse effect.
Looks like you are quoting word for word from a Google source or a text book, now who is simplifying?
SO
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:41:45 UTC
Post by Sara
Looks like you are quoting word for word from a Google source or a
text book, now who is simplifying?
Non-sequitur (IOW, nonsense). Quoting from a text book or article has
nothing to do with simplification.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a
chance to get its pants on."
reason, without notice.
Otto
2007-02-05 15:17:05 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Non-sequitur (IOW, nonsense). Quoting from a text book or article has
nothing to do with simplification.
Actually, it has if one doesn't quote the source.

Otto
reason, without notice.
Otto
2007-02-05 15:15:22 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
The geological record appears to show that ice ages start
when the continents are in positions which block or reduce the flow of
warm water from the equator to the poles
Ice ages seen to occur about every 100 000 years.
I didn't know the continents move around that fast.

Otto
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:38:51 UTC
Post by Sara
Post by Sara
How are you sure that was caused by global warming?
What causes ice to melt?
Usually, local warming.
"Usually" local warming? Oh I see, the last ice age was a local
thing. Silly me I thought it was a world wide phenonomen
You apparently thought wrong. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Devlin's First Law - Buyer beware: in the hands of a charlatan,
mathematics can be used to make a vacuous argument look
impressive.
Devlin's Second Law - So can PowerPoint." -- Keith Devlin
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:38:04 UTC
Post by James David
Dominik, I'll ask you then: What caused the global warming that
melted >> the ice of the previous ice age?
How are you sure that was caused by global warming?
What causes ice to melt?
Warming. Now who says it was global?
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"I hope life isn't a big joke ... because I don't get it."
-- Unknown
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-04 17:26:32 UTC
Post by James David
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by James David
There seems to be an equally "overwhelming" consensus
that we really don't know for sure if human industial activity is
the cause of the warming.
There was, yesterday -- but not as overhelming as in your dreams. No
corrupted gang of looters (the people you voted for) is able to
confuse the issue anymore today.
Who are you talking about? Who is this "gang of looters" you speak of
and what have they "looted"?
It is surprising, but also telling, that you don't even know what he
means.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from
giving wordy evidence of the fact."
-- George Eliot (1819-1880)
reason, without notice.
Sarah
2007-02-05 04:02:07 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Post by James David
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by James David
There seems to be an equally "overwhelming" consensus
that we really don't know for sure if human industial activity is
the cause of the warming.
There was, yesterday -- but not as overhelming as in your dreams. No
corrupted gang of looters (the people you voted for) is able to
confuse the issue anymore today.
Who are you talking about? Who is this "gang of looters" you speak of
and what have they "looted"?
It is surprising, but also telling, that you don't even know what he
means.
I'll bite, what does he mean?
SO
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:25:56 UTC
Post by Sarah
Post by Rudy Velthuis
It is surprising, but also telling, that you don't even know what he
means.
I'll bite, what does he mean?
It is just as telling that you also don't know it. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proven it correct,
not tried it." -- Donald E. Knuth.
reason, without notice.
Dominic Willems
2007-02-05 11:39:07 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
It is just as telling that you also don't know it. <g>
Is it Sara with or without an "h", or with a "j" and a "d"? It's quite
confusing.
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:43:48 UTC
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by Rudy Velthuis
It is just as telling that you also don't know it. <g>
Is it Sara with or without an "h", or with a "j" and a "d"? It's
quite confusing.
Sara/h is probably trying to avoid being caught by a bot. Just like
JohnF did. Hmmm...

Anyway, in this group, humans cancel, and these humans are clever
enough to see through the deception.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
-- Albert Einstein
reason, without notice.
Dominic Willems
2007-02-05 11:47:43 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Sara/h is probably trying to avoid being caught by a bot.
Don't you think it's just forgetfulness? :) As in "whom am I supposed to
impersonate again"?
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:57:59 UTC
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Sara/h is probably trying to avoid being caught by a bot.
Don't you think it's just forgetfulness? :) As in "whom am I supposed
to impersonate again"?
Nah...
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"The gods too are fond of a joke." -- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 12:04:24 UTC
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by Rudy Velthuis
It is just as telling that you also don't know it. <g>
Is it Sara with or without an "h", or with a "j" and a "d"? It's
quite confusing.
More or less like Sara with a "j", an "o", an "h", an "n" and perhaps
even an "f".
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Researchers have discovered that chocolate produces some of the
same reactions in the brain as marijuana. The researchers also
discovered other similarities between the two but can't remember
what they are." -- Matt Lauer on NBC's Today Show .
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 12:50:13 UTC
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by Rudy Velthuis
It is just as telling that you also don't know it. <g>
Is it Sara with or without an "h", or with a "j" and a "d"? It's
quite confusing.
Well, depends on how strong you believe in coincidence.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"#3 pencils and quadrille pads."
-- Seymoure Cray (1925-1996) when asked what CAD tools he used
to design the Cray I supercomputer; he also recommended using
the back side of the pages so that the lines were not so
dominant.
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 12:58:36 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Post by Dominic Willems
Post by Rudy Velthuis
It is just as telling that you also don't know it. <g>
Is it Sara with or without an "h", or with a "j" and a "d"? It's
quite confusing.
Well, depends on how strong you believe in coincidence.
"... strongly ...".
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it
has a longer shelf life." -- Frank Zappa
reason, without notice.
Strong Bow
2007-02-05 11:38:21 UTC
This 'lady' seems to be having an identity crisis.

;-)
--
Strong Bo
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:57:08 UTC
Post by Strong Bow
This 'lady' seems to be having an identity crisis.
;-)
Makes me think this "lady" is not who "she" says "she" is.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq,
Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with
about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on
the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous
than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life
form." -- New York Times, November 26, 1991
reason, without notice.
Dirtyh Sanchezh
2007-02-05 12:36:25 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Makes me think this "lady" is not who "she" says "she" is.
Why is that?
--
Sr. D. Sanchezh

"What can brown do for you?" - Someone at UPS
reason, without notice.
RudyJ VelthuisD
2007-02-05 12:43:21 UTC
Dirtyh Sanchezh wrote:

Oops, now I get it! Sorry for being so slow. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Copy from one, it's plagiarism; copy from two, it's research."
-- Wilson Mizner (1876-1933)
reason, without notice.
Dirty Sanchez
2007-02-05 12:34:48 UTC
Post by Strong Bow
This 'lady' seems to be having an identity crisis.
;-)
Don't look to me to check for twigs and berries....
--
Sr. D. Sanchez

reason, without notice.
Dominic Willems
2007-02-05 09:03:12 UTC
Post by James David
Who are you talking about? Who is this "gang of looters" you speak of
People trying to squeeze every buck out of every opportunity that
presents itself.
Post by James David
and what have they "looted"?
The clean air I ought to breathe, for one.
Post by James David
How do you know who I voted for?
By the produced prose that looks like a carbon copy of a RWL
pamphlet...?
Post by James David
Do you
think you sound a little silly?
I think today's deniers look and sound rather silly. It's as if they
wouldn't even accept the calculation of their own age.
Post by James David
Dominik, I'll ask you then: What caused the global warming that melted
the ice of the previous ice age?
Look it up. Or did you think I'd paste a handful of papers in here for
you?

Btw, the ice ages are put into relation with global cooling, not
warming. This time, however, the global warming can indeed cause a
little ice age in some areas, but totally unrelated with the versions
that already occurred.

Whatever natural causes you come up with for the current global warming,
it is today a totally undeniable fact that the SUDDEN and far more
dramatic rise in CO2 and CH4 since the industrial revolution correlates
DIRECTLY with the abnormal rise in temperature.
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-03 12:57:09 UTC
Post by James David
Post by Michael Warner
Post by James David
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would
include myself too if I could just figure out if human activity
caused the global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
What's the relevance? The overwhelming consensus is that we're
significantly responsible this time.
Overwhelming? There seems to be an equally "overwhelming" consensus
that we really don't know for sure if human industial activity is the
cause of the warming.
No, there is not an equally overwhelming consensus about that at all.
Only some right wing publications in the US (and, AFAICS, mainly in the
US) seem to claim so, but they are wrong.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."
-- Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), "The Prince"
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-03 12:55:10 UTC
Post by Michael Warner
Post by James David
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
What's the relevance? The overwhelming consensus is that we're
significantly responsible this time.
Well, the consensus is that this is going on for ages already.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"A state of war only serves as an excuse for domestic tyranny."
-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
reason, without notice.
Matt Jacobs
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-04 17:12:18 UTC
Post by Matt Jacobs
Post by Michael Warner
Post by James David
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
What's the relevance? The overwhelming consensus is that we're
significantly responsible this time.
It is?
Yes.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -- Issac Asimov
reason, without notice.
Sara
2007-02-05 03:57:52 UTC
Post by Matt Jacobs
Post by Michael Warner
Post by James David
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
What's the relevance? The overwhelming consensus is that we're
significantly responsible this time.
It is?
Yes.
No, that is unless you deal in voodoo climateology.
SO
reason, without notice.
Dominic Willems
2007-02-05 09:05:10 UTC
Post by Sara
No, that is unless you deal in voodoo climateology.
Give us your take on it.
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-05 11:32:15 UTC
Post by Matt Jacobs
Post by Matt Jacobs
Post by Michael Warner
What's the relevance? The overwhelming consensus is that we're
significantly responsible this time.
It is?
Yes.
No, that is unless you deal in voodoo climateology.
The overwhelming consensus IS that it we are significatnly responsible.
You can deny that, but that doesn't make it go away.

The kind of climatology that deserves the name voodoo is the kind that
is in the hands of or paid for by big business. I can understand that
they want to disinform the people, since that is in their interest. I
don't undersatand that there are people who actually buy what they say,
though. Since I don't think you are dumb, it can only be blind
allegiance to your "group". I still don't understand that, but I know
it exists. We see the same blindness WRT other issues, e.g. like how
well things are going in Iraq, etc.

But hey, even your "group" is slowly moving away from their stance, and
is conceding that we are to blame for global warming.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in
higher esteem those who think alike than those who think
differently" -- Friedrich Nietzsche
reason, without notice.
Otto
2007-02-05 16:01:21 UTC
Post by Sara
No, that is unless you deal in voodoo climateology.
According to recent news reports it looks like a
majority of climatologists are now dealing in voodoo.

Otto
reason, without notice.
Matt Jacobs
2007-02-04 11:28:14 UTC
Post by James David
Post by Rudy Velthuis
There is hardly anyone who denies the
human influence on global warming these days,
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
Do you know the answer to this?
It was all those camp fires. All 150,000 of them. ;-)
reason, without notice.
James David
2007-02-05 13:44:14 UTC
Post by Matt Jacobs
Post by James David
Post by Rudy Velthuis
There is hardly anyone who denies the
human influence on global warming these days,
I assume you count yourself among these masses, and I would include
myself too if I could just figure out if human activity caused the
global warming that melted the ice in the last ice age.
Do you know the answer to this?
It was all those camp fires. All 150,000 of them. ;-)
Since most individuals were bogged down with the responsibility of
their own personal survival, it is likely that the liberal/leftist
mindset was unable to fully develop as we know it today. But if it had,
this would undoubtedly have been the reason for the planetary warming
responsible for the receding glaciers :-)
reason, without notice.
Tom Backer Johnsen
2007-02-02 13:07:23 UTC
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
He would not, see

The consensus on this question is rising, very fast. And Al Gore's
film has been very persuasive.

See also:

http://www.ted.com/tedtalks/tedtalksplayer.cfm?key=al_gore

Tom
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 13:12:03 UTC
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
Methinks you wath too much Fox News. <g>

http://www.newshounds.us/2007/02/01/al_gore_gets_no_respect_on_fox.php
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."
-- Walt Disney (1901-1966)
reason, without notice.
Bo Dean
2007-02-02 15:56:13 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Methinks you wath too much Fox News. <g>
http://www.newshounds.us/2007/02/01/al_gore_gets_no_respect_on_fox.php
We had better not tell them that Al's going to be in the Futurama
movie as well.

reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 16:34:53 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Methinks you wath too much Fox News. <g>
http://www.newshounds.us/2007/02/01/al_gore_gets_no_respect_on_fox.p
hp
We had better not tell them that Al's going to be in the Futurama
movie as well.
Al Gore, or his head only? <g>

reason, without notice.
Bo Dean
2007-02-02 21:48:33 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Al Gore, or his head only? <g>
He could borrow Agnew's body from Nixon.

reason, without notice.
Mart [TeamD]
2007-02-02 16:45:24 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
We had better not tell them that Al's going to be in the Futurama
movie as well.
What? there's gonna be a Futurama movie?

reason, without notice.
Bo Dean
2007-02-02 21:47:07 UTC
Post by Mart [TeamD]
What? there's gonna be a Futurama movie?
Yep, more than one, in fact. Comedy central is going to air them. I
don't know if they'll be sold or aired first.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama#Show_status>

reason, without notice.
Mart [TeamD]
2007-02-03 03:30:10 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
Post by Mart [TeamD]
What? there's gonna be a Futurama movie?
Yep, more than one, in fact. Comedy central is going to air them. I
don't know if they'll be sold or aired first.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama#Show_status>
Superb news, thanks!

reason, without notice.
Mike Warren
2007-02-03 07:26:57 UTC
Post by Mart [TeamD]
Post by Bo Dean
Post by Mart [TeamD]
What? there's gonna be a Futurama movie?
Yep, more than one, in fact. Comedy central is going to air
them. I don't know if they'll be sold or aired first.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama#Show_status>
Superb news, thanks!
"Al Gore confirmed that he would appear in the movie, playing his
disembodied head"

Futurama is being played here every week night at the moment.

Unfortunately, I rarely get to watch it and those I do see are
usually episodes I've already seen several times.
--
-Mike
reason, without notice.
Mart [TeamD]
2007-02-03 13:31:44 UTC
Post by Mike Warren
Futurama is being played here every week night at the moment.
Unfortunately, I rarely get to watch it and those I do see are
usually episodes I've already seen several times.
Got them all on DVD. I like to revisit some classic eps from time to
time. My favorite is still the one where they travel inside Fry's body
to get rid of those worms. Hilarious spoof.

reason, without notice.
Mike Warren
2007-02-03 13:42:12 UTC
Post by Mart [TeamD]
My favorite is still the one where they travel inside Fry's body
to get rid of those worms.
That's my favourite too. Reminds me of Charly (Flowers for Algernon).
Post by Mart [TeamD]
Hilarious spoof.
Hilarious? spoof? I thought this was a serious show examining what the
future will likely be.
--
-Mike
reason, without notice.
Mart [TeamD]

reason, without notice.
Rob
2007-02-03 16:55:50 UTC
Post by Mart [TeamD]
Post by Mart [TeamD]
What? there's gonna be a Futurama movie?
Superb news, thanks!
Simpsons did it!

rob :)
reason, without notice.
Mart [TeamD]
2007-02-03 18:49:15 UTC
Post by Rob
Post by Mart [TeamD]
Post by Mart [TeamD]
What? there's gonna be a Futurama movie?
Superb news, thanks!
Simpsons did it!
Can't wait either, but it's much more surprising for Futurama.

reason, without notice.
Kirt
2007-02-02 17:45:42 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
We had better not tell them that Al's going to be in the Futurama
movie as well.
he's been in an episode. a pretty good one, as i recall.
reason, without notice.
Bo Dean
2007-02-02 21:45:27 UTC
Post by Kirt
he's been in an episode. a pretty good one, as i recall.
A couple actually, his daughter worked on the series.

reason, without notice.
John B. Breckenridge
2007-02-02 21:48:55 UTC
Post by Bo Dean
We had better not tell them that Al's going to be in the Futurama
movie as well.
His daughter's one of the Futurama writers.
reason, without notice.
JD
2007-02-02 22:16:06 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Methinks you wath too much Fox News. <g>
You're wrong ... I caught it on the CNN scroll which simply
stated that he had been nominated ... nothing more. My
reaction was not do to his nomination but rather the prize
for which he was nominated. He hasn't done anything in terms
of stopping wars or preventing them or anything else that can
be remotely considered keeping the peace.

~ JD
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 23:03:19 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Methinks you wath too much Fox News. <g>
You're wrong ...
Doesn't matter. Your comment could have been a copy of Fox News. Why do
you hate Al so much?
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"You ask me if I keep a notebook to record my great ideas. I've
only ever had one." -- Albert Einstein.
reason, without notice.
JD
2007-02-02 23:23:09 UTC
[...] Why do you hate Al so much?
Why do you assume that I do - just because I ask how he gets
nominated for something that he hasn't done?

~ JD
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 23:26:46 UTC
Post by JD
[...] Why do you hate Al so much?
Why do you assume that I do
Guess...
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian, and thinks that the
customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."
-- George Bernard Shaw
reason, without notice.
JD
2007-02-02 23:33:01 UTC
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Post by JD
[...] Why do you hate Al so much?
Why do you assume that I do
Guess...
Because you're arrogant enough to think that accussing me of
such makes it so?

~ JD
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-03 12:58:45 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Post by JD
[...] Why do you hate Al so much?
Why do you assume that I do
Guess...
Because you're arrogant enough to think that accussing me of
such makes it so?
No, just because I can read what you write and have written over the
years.
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his
hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-- Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-03 12:59:28 UTC
Post by JD
Post by Rudy Velthuis
Post by JD
[...] Why do you hate Al so much?
Why do you assume that I do
Guess...
Because you're arrogant enough to think that accussing me of
such makes it so?
Wrong. Next guess. You have two more trials. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do
him absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)
reason, without notice.
Kirt
2007-02-02 14:10:42 UTC
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
they've been totally disgraced. i think we should take them over and
rename them the Reagan Prizes, and let the american enterprise institute
choose the winners.
reason, without notice.
Tom Backer Johnsen
2007-02-02 14:25:43 UTC
Post by Kirt
Post by JD
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
they've been totally disgraced. i think we should take them over and
rename them the Reagan Prizes, and let the american enterprise institute
choose the winners.
You would have to take over the Norwegian Parliament then. They are
the ones that appoint the commitee that decides on the prize. The
other Nobel prizes are handled by the Swedes.

Tom
reason, without notice.
Bruce Salzman
2007-02-02 14:39:47 UTC
Post by Tom Backer Johnsen
You would have to take over the Norwegian Parliament then. They are
the ones that appoint the commitee that decides on the prize. The
other Nobel prizes are handled by the Swedes.
Afghanistan
Iraq
Iran
Norway

OK, did we forget anyone else?
--
Bruce
reason, without notice.
Michael Warner
2007-02-03 01:22:57 UTC
Post by Kirt
they've been totally disgraced. i think we should take them over and
rename them the Reagan Prizes, and let the american enterprise institute
choose the winners.
Shouldn't they just be given to those whose work increases the
US GDP the most? That's the ultimate indicator of benefit to mankind.
reason, without notice.
Jim McKay
2007-02-02 14:34:26 UTC
JD said...
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
Don't worry, conservatives are fighting back!!!

"Landmark Legal Foundation Nominates Rush Limbaugh for 2007 Nobel Peace Prize"
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-01-200
7/0004518421&EDATE=
or (shortlink): http://tinyurl.com/2e852h

<q>
(Limbaugh) was nominated for the prestigious award for his "nearly two decades
of tireless efforts to promote liberty, equality and opportunity for all
humankind, regardless of race, creed, economic stratum or national origin.
These are the only real cornerstones of just and lasting peace throughout
the world," said Landmark President Mark R. Levin.
"Rush Limbaugh is the foremost advocate for freedom and democracy in
the world today," explained Levin. "Everyday he gives voice to the values
of democratic governance, individual opportunity and the just, equal
application of the rule of law -- and it is fitting that the Nobel
Committee recognize the power of these ideals to build a truly peaceful
world for future generations."
</q>
--
Regards:
Jim McKay

"There is nothing easier than lopping off heads and
nothing harder than developing ideas."

Dostoevsky

Posted with XanaNews: Ver: 1.18.1.6
reason, without notice.
James David
2007-02-02 14:36:33 UTC
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
He already would have disintegrated when the award went to Yassar
Arafat.
reason, without notice.
Tom Backer Johnsen
2007-02-02 15:23:28 UTC
Post by James David
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
He already would have disintegrated when the award went to Yassar
Arafat.
It was divided between him and that Israeli.

Tom
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 16:40:35 UTC
Post by Tom Backer Johnsen
Post by James David
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
He already would have disintegrated when the award went to Yassar
Arafat.
It was divided between him and that Israeli.
Those Israelis: Rabin and Peres.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Silence is argument carried out by other means."
-- Ernesto "Che" Guevara (1928-1967)
reason, without notice.
Rudy Velthuis
2007-02-02 16:39:43 UTC
Post by James David
Post by JD
Yes folks, it's true ... Al Gore has been nominated for
the Nobel Peace Prize ... not for his actions to combat
any suffering in [insert any place in the world] but
rather for his efforts to combat global warming!
If Nobel were alive today ... he'd explode!
He already would have disintegrated when the award went to Yassar
Arafat.
Or to Kissinger and Le Duc Tho. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis http://rvelthuis.de

"Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops
up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny
spirit takes their place." -- Mark Twain (1835-1910)